Monday, February 2, 2009

Wellington Windows: Waiting on Wellington

So let's say you're Wellington Windows and someone pays you $15,000 to put in windows. And lets say (as you've read below) that every single one of those windows had malfunctioned. What would your response be? How quick would you work to resolve the situation? Well, the correct answer is (according to Wellington, at least): two months.

After we discovered all the windows installed were faulty, we were assured that the new windows would be made as soon as possible. About a week later, I got curious. How long did that actually mean? I called Wellington to ask. It was the last week in November. Winter had arrived in Minnesota. I was pretty sure the "new" new windows would be in before Christmas. The person who I talked to, who was in charge of scheduling, was hesitant to give a straight answer. They were busy, she said, it would be hard to pin down a day. Give me an estimate, then, I said. Her best estimate to when the windows would get made would be mid to late January -- two months away!

I was shocked. I told her that it only took one month to make the first batch of windows AND get them installed, but now it seemed it would take them two months just to get a new set made.

Why was it going to take so long, I asked? No answer given.

Was there anything I could do to speed up the process? No, I was told.

At this point I was pretty upset, but I realize I was more than likely getting upset with the wrong person. Who could I talk to to get this taken care of, I asked. She would look into it, she said, and get back to me.

And then four days went by, without hearing a thing. And so I called back. It seems that now they could make our windows before mid to late January. And in fact we would have them made by mid-December. Why no one called to explain this to me, I have no idea, but I was relieved. It seemed as if the ordeal with Wellington and trying to get the windows we had paid for months before was finally coming to a close. But Wellington had many more surprises in store for us, including one of the infuriating Christmas presents ever.

1 comment: