Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Wellington Windows: Total Window Failure, Part 3 (Almost)

By now it's early February in Minnesota. Not exactly the best time to be having someone taking windows in and out of your house. It was especially annoying for us, seeing as we bought the windows in August to avoid this exact kind of problem.

As promised, two weeks went by and the new batch of windows arrived -- the windows that were replacing the last set of replacements that completely failed that were replacing the first set that completely failed.

And what do you know? There were problems right from the beginning. One of the windows arrived broken. Four other windows were missing from the order. (Ironic, seeing as this is now the third time they had to build them.) Another issue is that even though we were told we would be getting total window replacements including the sashes, this set of windows came in exactly like the last set -- window replacements to be put into the old frames.

It had just been two weeks earlier when the installer told us it was impossible to put the replacement windows into the old frames without them cracking, yet here they were to try it again, and take a guess what happened? The frames cracked when they put the new glass into the old frames, exactly like it happened before. Only this time, they were partially successful. They were able to put six or seven windows in, but the remaining 18 windows were going to have to be remade a fourth time.

When we called Wellington to confirm this time the windows would get remade as a full sash replacement, we were promised two things:

1) The windows would be done as full sash replacements.

2) The windows would be made that same week and installed the following week, two weeks at the very latest. This they made specific point of "promising" us this would happen and finally be right.

So Wellington needed four tries to make one set of properly fitting and properly installed windows? And they needed six months to complete the job? As always, all we wanted was our windows. The sooner we could be done with the constant calls and emails trying to get this done correctly, the better. If all it would take was two more weeks to be done with this nightmare, we were all for it.

As you shall soon see, four attempts over six months is just not enough time for Wellington Windows to get it right.

6 comments:

  1. Hi - We read your blog on Wellington Windows and wanted you to know that you are not alone in what you are experiencing with this company. We also live in the Twin Cities and had Wellington Windows installed in our home. They've had to remake a number of our windows and we are still having problems with them all. It's amazing that a company that specializes in windows needs more than one try to get it right. Their customer service is basically non-existent. Have you looked into filing a complaint with the BBB or the Attorney General's office?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, PLEASE file a complaint with the BBB.
    My wife and I are in the process of deciding on who to do our siding and windows. And we are overwhelmed with the information, and the lack of reliable reviews. We have Consumers Reports and they recommend PRODUCT, but not installers. How do we find installers we can trust? We have had 2 people come out and quote, and are not confident with either. We started googling Wellington and found this, now I suppose we should be crossing them off our list? I wonder if anyone can point us to highly recommended window and siding installers?

    Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. About five years ago, my wife and I replaced each and every window in our home. The number of windows was 23 windows including 2 large picture windows to the tune of $21,000 and change. For us (as it would be for anyone) was a large investment, but worth it because it would increase the value of our home. We were very pleased with the quality of the product and installation. I can’t say enough about the installers, they were clean, polite and efficient. I recommended Wellington to all my friends and family. Having said all that, I find I cannot, and will not, recommended your windows any more unless your customer service policies are changed.

    Some of my windows will not stay up when I open them, they slide back down and need to be tightened up. There is a mechanical device on the sides of the windows that needs to be tightened periodically, and there is also a tool to tighten them with. Newer Wellington windows have a different mechanism which tells me that my windows have a design defect.

    This morning I called the local Wellington representative to have someone come out and tighten up the windows, and was told there would be a $65 trip charge to come out and tighten them up. I asked the man I spoke to if I could purchase the tool required to fix them. He told me that if I did it myself it would void my warranty. This is lousy customer service, $21,000 and change, and you are going to nickel and dime me every year or two to fix your design defect? I wonder if I would receive the same service had I chosen Pella, Marvin, or any other quality replacement window company? Maybe I should have gone to them for my windows. I went to you folks because I thought you were a cut above the rest, maybe I was wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your blog. I'm researching windows for a rental house and based on this I think i'll be passing on Wellington.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We also have had our fair share of issues with Wellington. We had a garden window installed in October. Over the winter there was so much ice buildup inside we had them come out at least twice to install more insulation on the underside of the thing. Then 2 summers later we came home from vacation and the entire inside base was moldy from rain leaking inside due to faulty construction. They ended up replacing the entire window which to a little over a year from the time that I started calling until the thing was built and installed. The next winter/early spring the top angle glass cracked. Again it took months for them to make the pane and get it installed. Then it was several weeks of calling them to get some one out to seal it properly, every time it rained the thing leaked. Now this spring I notice that the vinyl on the outside base is split and pealing and the wood inside is rotting. I am not sure what we are going to do now...

    ReplyDelete